Welcome to Wyre Piddle Parish Council
Wyre Piddle is a village and civil parish (population c600) in the Wychavon district of Worcestershire which sits prettily on the bank of the River Avon, near to Pershore in South Worcestershire. The Village has many active Community Groups and a forward looking Parish Council served by some enthusiastic and hard working Councillors.
The village has the distinction of being mentioned in Parliament thanks to a long struggle by the local inhabitants to obtain a bypass. The Wyre Piddle Bypass was eventually completed in December 2002. The construction of the bypass inspired local archaeologists to survey the area which resulted in the discovery of the remains of a Bronze Age cremation cemetery, a Bronze Age farm enclosure and a Romano-British farmstead dating from the 1st to the 4th century AD. The village was also the site of the discovery of the Wyre Piddle Hoard in 1967, a cache of silver coins deposited in a jug sometime around the year 1470, some from as early as 1280 and none later than 1467.
As regards the village’s name, the Wyre portion comes from the Wyre Forest whose name is derived from the Celtic ‘gweyr’ for ‘winding’ whilst the Piddle Brook, which runs through the village is a tributary of the River Avon. Piddle in this regard has nothing to do with the nineteenth century slang term, but rather comes from the Old English ‘pidele’ meaning marsh or fen.