WYRE PIDDLE PARISH COUNCIL
Wyre Piddle Parish Council are seeking to appoint a Lengthsman (preferably qualified) for 2021/22.
Deadline for applications 5/03/2021
Quoting the hourly rate you will charge for 2021/22 and giving 2 references, one of which must be an existing employer.
The Parish Lengthsman is a self-employed person who can really make a difference to the community environment by maintaining roadside verges and drainage. The work may be expanded to include other small-scale maintenance work. Appropriate basic training on the hazards of working in the highway and standards of work to be achieved will be provided.
This contract for services is for one year only but may be extended.
Contract commencement will be April 1st 2021.
Lengthsman duties include:
- Clear gully grates.
- Clear verge grips.
- Clear headwalls, outfalls.
- Rod blocked drains if practical.
- Advise landowners and frontagers when their ditches need cleaning.
- In especially difficult circumstances clear ditches – only with prior agreement of the Manager.
- Remove vegetation obstructing signs.
- Remove vegetation at junction visibility splays.
- Removal of basal tree growth from highway trees.
- Pulling / cutting of noxious weeds following site specific approval from the Manager.
- Side out footways to normal width and spread arisings on verge where possible.
- Negotiate with frontagers for them to cut back overhanging vegetation.
- Rotation and charging of mobile Vehicular Activated Signs (VAS) following site specific approval and authorisation from the Manager.
- Clean dirty signs and/or retighten brackets, reposition signs which have been knocked out of place where no excavation is required (except illuminated signs).
- Painting of heritage cast iron direction signs.
- Snow clearance and gritting / salting by hand.
- Removal of illegal fly posting.
- Maintenance and repainting of highways approved visibility fencing.
- Cleaning of subways.
- The Lengthsman will be required to travel around the parish at short notice